Tuesday 23 August 2011

Trading day

We had a 'trading day' today of reactive architecture in Second life.  What ended up happening however, was an impromptu crit of our "reactive architecture" as we all needed to ground our ideas and create something more appropriate for the brief. My slide thing didn't work as I hoped it would,  I can't work out how to get objects to rotate in the ways I want them to.  Frustration Station.  The idea was to have a door that when touched, became a ramp/slide, something like a glorified drawbridge.  But the sculptie wouldn't move in the ways I hoped, so effectively, I gave up.  I adjusted the initial shape and made it hollower, to become something you could be inside.  I came up with this shape and included stairs to a platform.  The idea was that the large walnut like thing would rotate around an avatar standing on the platform when touched.  While it didn't rotate as I thought it would (Shocker) it rotated in quite an interesting way.

Here are some images of what I produced:

The stairs and walnut shaped form

Within the shape after a rotation

Further immersion in the shape

See above



I wasn't too clear on what we were supposed to be doing and it showed.  Judy recommended refining the shape and having a movable 'landscape' by using an extremely large prim. I might look into this but I don't feel I was really focusing on the task at hand with this piece and I need to reassess my angle.

No comments:

Post a Comment