Tuesday 23 August 2011

Matrix Research

My matrix building is the 'Millennium Dome' in London. It is made predominantly of plastic and the main feature of it acts (in a way)  as a giant tent over the main building. I think it would definitely be interesting to explore this idea and consider a plastic exterior for my design.  I like the structure as it's very horizontal and really utilises contemporary materials and methods of construction.





Learning about tensile structures in Tech, it'd be interesting to apply some of that information to my design, using the same plastic that is used in this dome. I assume that this building is a tensile structure, which makes it physically interesting, as I imagine all the support comes from the top of the poles.  Given the shear scale of the building that suggests it was a highly engineered design.


No comments:

Post a Comment